Saturday, February 12, 2005

Movie: Hitch

I'm sitting in my rocking chair listening to the sound of raindrops echo down through the chimney flue. It's been raining all day. But Mom, Lynae and I braved the sour weather to go see Will Smith's new romantic comedy, "Hitch." It was well worth it. After a day filled with Dominic-birthday-party-induced action, I wasn't sure if I had the stamina for a movie at 9:50. A few cups of coffee, and I was ready to go. I liked the movie a lot. I guess it could be labeled as a romantic comedy, but that shouldn't dissuade people that normally avoid such films. It has a different angle to it, and maybe that angle is Will Smith. He just adds a presence to his films that I enjoy. He is full of wit, and that seems to be missing from a lot of actors nowadays.

Joe Morgenstern, the movie reviewer for the WSJ, actually gave the movie a "thumbs up", which surprised me even before I saw the movie, because Joe is notoriously bearish in my opinion.

A good quote from the movie, that may not be original, but I liked it anyway. Spoken by Will Smith's character, and paraphrased:
"Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Nice performances by these actors and actresses:
Kevin James
Eva Mendes
Amber Valletta

Another good quote, that sums up how love turns logic upside down:
"I've waited my whole life to feel this miserable."

No comments: