Saturday, May 21, 2005

Movie: Crash

Starring an ensemble cast of Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Ryan Phillipe among others. Even a cameo appearance of Tony Danza, for a change doing what Sharon referred to as "real acting."

This movie shows how racism is contagious, and how it grows in an exponential fashion. It also shows how some people can seem racist, but really are not racist, and how others can seem not racist, but really are racist. I am reminded of John Mellencamp's lyric in Peaceful World, "these are just words, and words are o.k.....it's what you do and not what you say" Of course, this thought has been expressed in a multitude of aphorisms throughout the ages.

A good movie. I like these types of movies, with their interlocking story lines. Very Robert Altman/Tarrintino like. The next day, I always find myself trying to find connections that I might have missed. A different role for Ms. Bullock, and one she pulled off well. I like Don Cheadle, though I still have not seen Hotel Rwanda (we've had the DVD from Blockbuster on our TV stand for about 1 month.)

No comments: