Monday, February 28, 2005

Clint Eastwood: You 'da Man!!

2005 Oscars 77th Academy Awards News - Eastwood Knocks Out Scorsese at Oscars

I was happy to see Clint Eastwood's film win "Best Picture" last night, and also happy to see him win an Oscar for Best Director. I have not seen "Million Dollar Baby", but I am a big fan of Clint Eastwood's previous work. I do plan to see the film, as soon as I can arrange it. I was stunned by the last line in the above linked article, which said that Eastwood, along with directing, producing and acting in the movie, also composed the score. Is this real? This guy is the Bill Belicheck of Hollywood. He just seems to "get it done" no matter what. Originally, Warner did not want to make the film, but Eastwood persisted, and the film was made in 37 days!! I read a quote from Eastwood in Time magazine, and then I heard it again on NPR. It had to do with politics and his centrist approach. Paraphrased from memory:

"If you get too far to the right, you meet the kooks coming around from the left."

I hope that Clint has a lot of work left in him. He is making a movie now about the WWII generation and soldiers that come back as heros that don't feel heroic, or something to that effect.

I also liked Clint's statement to one of his fellow award winners at the end of the Oscar ceremony, as the band started the play. He said, "don't let them intimidate you. You talk however long you want." Ha! This was classic Dirty Harry style Clint Eastwood. Who is going to argue with that!

No comments: